- God means what He says and says what He means.
- The Bible is an integrated whole: Every detail is there by design (Mt 5:17,18).
- Nothing is trivial: All things are for our learning (Rom 15:4).
- God is His own interpreter.
REVELATION: “THE UNVEILING”
- The consummation of all things.
- 404 verses containing over 800 allusions from the Old Testament.
- It presents the climax of God’s Plan for Man.
REVELATION: A PROPHETIC BOOK
Revelation 1:19 says, “Write the things which thou hast seen [The Vision of Christ, Chapter 1], and the things which are [The Seven Churches, Chapters 2,3], and the things which shall be hereafter [That which follows after the Churches, Chapters 4-22]”
The Book of Revelation covers the things of the past, present and future:
- Past – The Things Which Thou Hast Seen (Rev 1:12-18)
- Present – The Things Which Are (Rev 2 & 3)
- Future – The Things Which Shall Be Hereafter (Rev 4-22)
Nevertheless, as seen above, the book mainly claims be of a futuristic / prophetic nature (1:3; 22:7, 10 18-19; cf.10:11):
- In the Old Testament, there are 1,845 references to Christ’s rule on the earth as 17 OT books give prominence to the event.
- In 216 chapters of the New Testament, there are 318 references to the Second Coming. It is mentioned in 23 of the 27 books.
- For every prophecy relating to His First Coming, there are eight that relate to His Second Coming.
- The New Testament is in the Old Testament concealed; The Old Testament is in the New Testament revealed.
We are being plunged into a period about which the Bible says more than about any other period in history – the end times. Sadly, there are however three different key interpretations being used by Christians:
BOOK WITH A SPECIFIC BLESSING
It is the only book in the Bible that contains a specific blessing, “Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.”
In fact, it contains seven beatitudes
- Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear and keep those things… (Rev 1:3).
- Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord (Rev 14:13).
- Blessed is he that watcheth and keepeth his garments (Rev 16:15).
- Blessed are they who are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb (Rev 19:9).
- Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection (Rev 20:6).
- Blessed is he that keepeth the words of the prophecy of this book (Rev 22:7)
- Blessed are they that wash their robes (Rev 22:14).
THE STRUCTURE OF SEVENS
- Seven Churches 1:4,11,20; 2; 3
- Seven Seals 5; 6
- Seven Trumpets 8, 9
- Seven Bowls 15; 16; 17:1; 21:9
- Seven Lampstands 1:12, 13, 20; 2:1
- Seven Spirits 1:4; 3:1; 4:5; 5:6
- Seven Stars 1:16, 20; 2:1; 3:1
- Seven Lamps 4; 5
- Seven “Title-pairs” 2; 3
- Seven Promises to the Overcomer 2;3
- Seven Horns 5:6
- Seven Eyes 5:6
- Seven Angels 8:2,6; 15:1,6,7,8; 16:1; 17:1;21:9
- Seven Thunders 10:3, 4
- Seven Thousand 11:13
- Seven Heads 12:3; 13:1; 17:3, 7, 9
- Seven Crowns 12:3
- Seven Plagues 15:1, 6, 8; 21:9
- Seven Mountains 17:9
- Seven Kings 17:10,11
- Seven Years of Judgments 11:3; 12:6,14; 13:5
- Seven “I Am’s” of Christ 1:8, 11, 17, 18; 21:6; 22:13,16;
- Seven Doxologies in heaven 4:9-11; 5:8-13; 7:9-12; 11:16-18; 14:2,3; 15:2-4 ;19:1-6
- Seven New Things 20, 21
…and many, many more.
THE PATMOS EXILE
Patmos is a small island, 6 miles by 10 miles, 40 miles from Miletus and 24 miles from the coast of Turkey. John was exiled by Domitian (A.D. 81-96), the brother of Titus who destroyed Jerusalem. According to Irenaeus (2nd century A.D.), Revelation was written by John during the reign of Domitian.
Irenaeus, Clement, and Eusebius wrote that after Domitian died, John returned to Ephesus, went to the churches, and appointed leaders, and set things in order.
There are 3 categories of judgement, namely the Seals (Rev 8:5); Trumpets (Rev 11:19); and, Bowls (Rev 16:18).
Revelation deals with the three women:
COMPARISON BETWEEN GENESIS VS REVELATION
|GENESIS (Beginning)||REVELATION (End)|
|Earth Created 1:1||Earth Passed away 21:1|
|Sun, moon, stars 1:14-16||Sun, moon, stars 4:12; 8:12|
|Earth’s government 37||Earth’s judgment 16:8|
|Sun to govern Day 1:16||No need of sun 21:23|
|Darkness called night 1:5||No night there 22:5|
|Waters He called seas 1:10||No more sea 21:1|
|A river for earth’s blessing 2:10-14||A river for New Earth 22:1,2|
|Man in God’s Image 1:26||Man Headed by Satan’s Image 13|
|Entrance of sin 3||End of sin 21, 22|
|Curse pronounced 3:14-17||No more curse 22:3|
|Death entered 3:19||No more death 21:4|
|Cherubim first mentioned 3:24||Cherubim final mention 19:4|
|Man driven out of Eden 3:24||Man restored 22|
|Tree of life guarded 3:24||Access to Tree of life 22:14|
|Sorrow & suffering enter 3:17||No more sorrow 22:4|
|Nimrod founds Babylon 10:8-10||Babylon falls 17, 18|
|God’s Flood to Destroy evil generation 6 – 9||Satan’s flood to Destroy elect generation 12|
|A bow: God’s promise 9:13||A bow for remembrance 4:3; 10:1|
|Sodom & Egypt: Corruption, judgement 13, 19||“Sodom & Egypt” (Jerusalem) 11:8|
|A confederation vs. Abraham’s people 14||Abraham’s Seed 12|
|A bride for Abraham’s son 24||A bride for Abraham’s Seed 19|
|Marriage of 1st Adam 2:18-23||Marriage of Last Adam 19|
|Promised Seed: Possess gate of enemies 29:8||Promised Seed possessing 19|
|Man’s dominion ceased, and Satan’s begun 3:24||Satan’s domain ended and man’s restored 22|
A CHANGING WORLD – SOME KEY THEMES OF PROPHECY
- Scattering and Regathering of Israel
- Redemption and Judgement of the Righteous
- Russia (Magog)
- Antichrist and False Prophet
- European Super State
- Ecumenical Religion
- Global Government
- Rise of the Occult
- The Wrath of God
- The Second Coming
- Spiritual Healing of Israel
- The Millennial Reign of Christ On Earth
- Judgement of the Unrigteous
- Eternity – New Heavens and a New Earth
(KEY SOURCE: Supplemental Notes: The Book of Revelation – Chuck Missler)